Linear PCR: pre-amplification of the entire library
2X linear PCR:
|Reagent||Initial||Final||1X reaction (50 μl)||2X (μl)|
|Roche Diagnostics KAPA HiFi HotStart ReadyMix PCR Kit (6.25 mL), 250 x 50 uL reactions||2x||1x||25||50|
|Forward||10 µM||0.3 µM||1.5||3|
|Reverse (with T7 promoter)||10 µM||0.3 µM||1.5||3|
|Raw Library||2 ng/µL||0.4 ng/µL||10||20|
- Linear PCR program –95C-3min, (95C-30s, 58C-15s, 72C-15s)X12, 72C-1min
- Purify with Zymo-25 kit, resuspend in ~30 µL of water
- Expected yield: ≥ 80 ng/ul
Purify with the Zymo-25 kit. Concentrate into 1 tube by repeating the DNA elution step and then re-using the elute for eluting the following sample. Elute with 30 µL UPW.
50X Linear PCR:
|Reagent||Initial||Final||1X (50 µL)||50X (2.5 mL)|
|Roche Diagnostics KAPA HiFi HotStart ReadyMix PCR Kit (6.25 mL), 250 x 50 uL reactions||2x||1x||25||1,250|
|Forward||10 µM||0.3 µM||1.5||75|
|Reverse (with a T7 promoter)||10 µM||0.3 µM||1.5||75|
|Linear-amplified library||2 ng/µL||0.4 ng/µL||10||500|
- Combine the wells into a single 50 mL tube.
- Add 2X DNA binding buffer (5 mL for a 50X reaction, Zymo kit).
- Add 4X 100% Ethanol (10 mL for a 50X reaction).
- Transfer to vacuum column and vacuum.
- Wash twice with 2 mL of DNA washing buffer (Zymo).
- Transfer the column into a 1.5 mL Eppendorf tube and spin at top speed for 30 seconds to remove excess liquid.
- Elute in 150 µL UPW.
- Spec in NanoDrop with 1.5µL.
T7 Reaction (Adapted from Spatially resolved, highly multiplexed RNA profiling in single cells, K. H. Chen, A. N. Boettiger, J.R. Moffitt, S. Wang, and X. Zhuang. Science, 348 (6233) ,2015. And modified by Son. C. Nguyen
- We recommend having at least 1 µg of DNA per 10.5 µL. If the DNA concentration is lower, it is recommended to SpeedVac, and then resuspend to at least 1 µg/10.5 µL.
- We Recommend running the 4x reaction.
- Don’t forget – your PCR product should have a T7 promoter.
|Reagent||Initial||Final||1x reaction (μL)||4x reactions (μL)|
|DNA (120 ng/μl)||10.5||42|
|ATP (provided by kit)||3||12|
|CTP (provided by kit)||3||12|
|GTP (provided by kit)||3||12|
|UTP (provided by kit)||3||12|
|T7 Pol Mix||3||12|
- Incubate at 37oC for 16 hours in the PCR machine. Once finished, have the PCR at 12c until you remove your product from the machine.
- Following overnight T7 reaction:
|Reagent||Initial||Final||1x (μl)||4x reactions (μl)|
|Forward primer||200 uM||1500 pmol||7.5||30|
|dNTP||25 mM of each NTP||3.2 mM of each NTP||9.6||38.4|
|Maxima RT -H||2||8|
- RT program on PCR machine: (Run -> GUY -> RT1 -> thick -> 50 μl (for 4X reaction)). Details of the PCR program:
- Incubate for 2 hours at 50 oC.
- Inactivate RT at 85 C for 5 min.
- Digestion – For unlabeled and labeled Oligopaints with the following dyes – Cy3:
- Mix 0.5 M EDTA and 1 M NaOH 1:1, 1X reaction volume (75 μl, or 300 μl for 4X reaction). Final NaOH concentration: 0.25 M. Total reaction volume: 150 μL.
- Heat at 95c for 10 minutes. If using a 1.5 mL tube, then use a water bath and place a cap-sealer on the cap. Once the reaction is done, put on ice, and don’t remove the cap until the tube gets cooler.
- Probe Cleanup:
- Combine the 6 tubes from the digestion reaction into a single 15 mL tube.
- Add 2X oligo binding buffer (300 μl or 1.2 ml for 4X reaction, Zymo kit).
- Add 4X 100% Ethanol (600 μl or 2.4 ml for 4X reaction).
- Transfer to vacuum column and vacuum.
- Wash twice with 2 ml of DNA washing buffer (Zymo).
- Transfer column into 1.5 Eppendorf and spin at top speed for 30 seconds to remove excess liquid.
- Elute in 200 μl UPW and spec.
- Calculate yield – In 1 reaction, there is 1500 pmole primer. Translate the nanodrop read to pmoles and divide total probes in pmoles with primer in pmoles.
- Speedvac and resuspend to 200 pmol/μL.
We now use precast agarose gels. It takes a few minutes to set and 10 minutes to run.
For standard agarose gels, follow these guidelines:
- Run 2% gel: Prepare 60 ml TAE, 1.2 gr Agar. Microwave until the solution is clear.
- Add 6μl of 10,000X SyberSafe.
- Spray gel tray walls with ethanol to allow the easier placing of the gel tray in the container. Don’t forget the comb. Turn gel tray.
- Mix 4 μl DDW, 1μl 1kb DNA Ladder (Invitrogen; 1 μg/lane), 1 μl 6X loading dye.
- Mix >200 ng of the sample with 6X loading dye.
- Mix 4 μl DDW, 1μl 100bp DNA Ladder (NEB; 0.5 μg/lane), 1 μl 6X loading dye.
- Remove comb.
- Add 1X TAE up to the fill line.
- Load samples.
- Run with 105 mV for an hour.
- Digestion for labeled Oligopaints:
- RNase A, H treatment: 37 oC for 1 hr
- Ethanol precipitate – assuming reaction volume of 75 μl, overnight at -20oC, or at least 1 hr at -80oC
- 4 M Ammonium acetate (1:10 of reaction volume) = 7.5 μl
- 100% ethanol (2.5:1) = 187.5 μl
- Glycogen (1:50) = 1.5 μl
- Ethanol precipitate step B – Spin at 4oc (centrifuge in the cold room) at maximum speed for 30 minutes. Insert PCR tubes into Eppendorf tubes and balance. If required to change the rotor, then first press short spin, then the centrifuge will give a warning and adjust to the new rotor. Then, adjust your parameters (30 min, max speed).
- Ethanol precipitate step C – take an aliquot of 70% Ethanol from -20o Discard suspension and add 500 ml 70% ethanol (wash), and point the pipette tip to the walls to avoid resuspending the pellet. Discard again. Place tubes upside down with their cap open on a Kim wipe to evaporate ethanol residues. Then gently vacuum the walls of the tubes. Stay away from the pellet. Elucidate in 50 μl of water.
- Read concentration on Nanodrop. Concentration shouldn’t be higher than probe concentration. Nanodrop read is skewed due to Ethanol precipitation.